Friday, January 3, 2014

My 2013 highlights in a Nutshell

Hold up on that goodbye for 2013! Or any goodbyes to the months and/or years to pass. Those goodbyes that you are saying to, are what makes you a better person or worse instead, well you be the judge. Instead of saying goodbye, look back and pick up on those events, good or bad, reflect on it, celebrate for it happens for a reason and it may just be the catalyst that moulded you into who you are today!

Here are some of my memorable moments in 2013!

1. For the love of Dance!

Only 10% of the Monash Dance Fusion Club (MDFC) here.

I learnt and improved alot from where I was the year before I joined MDFC. I joined MDFC during my second semester upon entering Monash and I was quite reluctant. I then joined the Spartan (performers group) later in December 2012. I am glad that I decided to join the Spartan group because that was where I started to learn more techniques and different styles of dances. Not to mention the corners, stretching and liftings which I was new to back then. Boy was it a challenge! (And it still is too from time to time). Oour dance teacher, Ms Sharon, is tough on us at times but she does it so we can improve and I thank her for her time and patience to deal with all of us.

Stretching sessions: People say it looks decapitating but..hm.. my face seems to say otherwise.
Photo credits to Sunny Lim

Photo credits to Sunny Lim

Liftings: This was considered one of the easier ones I feel! It requires trust, core strength and from the guys, strength to lift the girls.
Photo credits to Crystal Lim

Photo credits to Tan Zhi Shan

Then there was my first concert! I was in a total of 7 dances including the opening and closing dance. It was a great experience for me! I was so overwhelmed by the end of the concert that I even teared ;')
Photo credits to Shang Yong Ivan

It made the whole experience even better when you have your loved ones to support you. That includes those who although weren't captured in pictures but supported me throughout.


2. A 360 change


I have been wanting to loose weight since...forever. I have always carried that extra pound since younger days. You know how Chinese boys can be so mean that they call you fat and all. It really does put me off my game at times. I lost some weight as puberty came along but I gained some of them as I grew older. I have been whining and making myself feel bad about it but I've never done anything about it back then. I danced back in KDU, yes, but still I was not in a good shape. I looked like a meatball with extra stuffing!

2010: Me (left) & Sarah (right). Oh the college days.

2011: I was flabby but then, I gained more during my internship days

2012: Goodness gracious me.

Early 2013, after I joined Spartan, our teacher told me to lose weight in preparation for the concert! I started on an eat clean diet together a workout plan and I did it! By May, I was slightly toner just in time for the concert. I didn't stop there though. I continued my eat clean diet and workout plan until September which my body became toner. I let loose on my workout since September due to assignments and exams but remained eating clean as much as I can. During that period of time, I lost all my muscles! T.T As a result, I shrunk and I look skinny but flabby now.

March 2013: Perth

December 2013: Bali

Together with my weight lost, I learnt to cook better and healthier. I get a great sense of achievement especially when I learn to make something out of scratch rather than buying it off the shelf in the grocer. *gold star* I like the new lifestyle right now. It makes my body feel different in a good way. Again, all of these I will be sharing in a separate post of its own. :)

I am currently in that size you see in the Bali picture. I was initially quite upset about myself that I lost my muscles and went on an eating spree during exams and during the holiday period. But I don't feel bad about it anymore because it is normal that you will fall back at a certain point of time in life. Don't stop, just start fresh with a goal, set in your mind. I just went grocery shopping for my eat clean diet again and am pumped to start my new workout plan! When you have the right mindset, the willpower, the motivation all come together with it. :)


3. No matter how much you want it, but you can't have it, you will have to let it go
I had a pet cat for less than a month back in May. I took the cat, Amelia, in because her owner had to fly back to the US but there wasn't anyone who would take in the cat. So I decided, why not?

Meet Amelia!

I took the cat home even got all the necessities for a cat on the day itself. I was hoping that my mom would be okay with it but my hopes got crushed when she disliked the cat. Not that she hates them but she just prefer dogs over cats and she just doesn't want any animals in the house. Afraid of too much hassle. She told me to give it away! :( As much as I didn't want to, I had to. Amelia was the sweetest cat, gentle, lady-like and very manja. Although she can be quite fierce when she wants to. all those reasons which was why it made giving her up even harder.


We gave her to one of my mom's friend who loves cats and he himself rears cats. I do believe that Amelia is in good hands and in great care of a loving family. My mom told me seems that Amelia is living the life. Good food, good companions. Amelia is still fierce though as she hissed at the other cat in the home and they're scared of her. Haha. Sometimes, things just don't go your way in life, there will always be circumstances that will prevent you from getting what you want. It is at times best to let go if you have tried your best to preserve it. Who knows, it may be for the better?

She will always have a place in my heart. :)


4. Planned and celebrated a close friend's engagement!
It took us 1 year to planned this whole thing and it wasn't easy because Jackie was based in Australia and his girlfriend, Ivy is in Malaysia. With his tight schedule, it was hard for him to arrange a time to come back to Malaysia to do the video shoot. Even with him back, he had to lie to Ivy to make sure that she doesn't find out that he actually went for the video shoot in a friend's place. Haha!

BTS of the proposal video shoot.

It was an Iron Man trailer featuring snippets of his two bestman and Jackie but mostly featuring the Iron Man. The whole planning sounds easy but trust me, there was alot of hassle to go through. By the end of it, although there were some hiccups here and there but thanks to his sister Jaime who helped with the flow of planned surprise, Kuok Sing who has been supportive and helped with the planning, Keng's Cinematography with the video, Cathay Cineplex management who helped with the AV and arrangements and all of Jackie & Ivy's friends and family who have helped made it possible for this proposal to happen.

Congrats to you both!
Photo credits to Keng's Cinematography

To hear the story from Ivy herself, you can check out her account of the day right here.


5. Newspapers, Newspapers... Get your newspapers!
Who would've guessed! I didn't expected to appear in the newspapers, not sure about the others though. haha... The first one was for the Nerf Showdown hosted by Nerf Damansara which compromised of two days: one for group category and the other for individual category. I helped out as the photographer for the event and they even used my photos for The Star newspaper R.A.G.E section (http://rage.com.my/content/stories/nerf-wars/)! :D

The Star RAGE newspaper clipping 

The other news release was in the Brunei Times (http://modasys.net/3g/index.php/news-events/around-brunei/local-news/5526-m-sia-s-pore-nerfers-join-brunerf-vantage-point-4.html). The Malaysian and Singaporean Nerf team flew to Brunei for an all day war. The event, Vantage Point (VP), is a big NERF war held once a year. Other than just being there for the food and VP, the Bruneians made our stay much more welcoming (and challenging!). We were exposed to new maps, game plays and made new acquaintances.

Brunei Times newspaper clipping


6. Jet-setter
In 2013, together with my partner in crime (Kuok Sing) I conquered 5 countries in a year and a record of 4 of those countries in a month (December). My friends couldn't catch up where I was even. XD I am deeply grateful that I was able to travel to so many places in 1 year. I have not gotten the time to blog about my trips in December as I was practically away for almost the whole month. So stay tune!

Perth, Australia, 15th-19th February:
Jackie's graduation, we represented his parents!

Landscape view of Perth city from King's Park

If you wish to read all about my trip there, here are the links:
Perth Day 1
Perth Day 2
Perth Day 3
Perth Day 4 & 5

Bali, Indonesia, 4th-8th December:


Sunset at Echo Beach, Canggu

A couples' retreat for 3 pairs of couples. Also to celebrate Jackie and Ivy's engagement. Lots of food, fun in our private pool and enjoying each other's companion.

Photos credit to Jackie

Brunei, 20th-24th December:

My second trip to Brunei that is! But this time it was together with some of the Malaysian nerfers and the Singaporean nerfers to participate in Vantage Point (VP) and of course to chow down on some food and visit places.

Photos credit to Onse Hmsh

Chiang Mai, Thailand, 26th-31st December: 

The magnificient view from Doi Inthanon

A family trip with the boyfie's family. Travelled to the tourist-y spots, lots of food, friendly locals and a very relaxing trip as well. A great way to end the year with!

Standing at the highest peak of Thailand


7. Degree: checked!
Yes I completed my degree! Along with my two other course mates since our diploma days in KDU. We've been through cuckoo lecturers, un-intended puns, assignment and exam stress together-gether. Oh the times we had break-downs, okay...um.. maybe that's just me. Haha. The time spent with these two are priceless. The past years have been great and to be able to end my tertiary education with you two was the cherry on top of the ice cream!

Yep, 5 years together and this is our only selfie that we've ever took. #the3musketeers

8. The best in life are closer than you would've imagined

And its our first Christmas Tree! :D

All in all, my year would not have been a hit if it weren't for my family of course! :) They are the ones who have helped and supported me through my endeavours in life throughout the years. Without them, I may not have been able to achieve what I have, am and to be in the future.

All the kitties go Rawr!

Extra siblings, adds the extra sugar and spice in life. ;)

He's my diamond in the rough :')

I thank this man for all his love and care. His guidance and patience to put up with my shenanigans. 2013 has been a great year for us. It will continue to be great and even greater with you by my side!

The foodie four!

And then along the way, you meet new friends but not all are what they seems. You just need to look a little harder and deeper (BTW, pun not intended okay!) and when you find them, keep those lil' diamond(s). :)


Well I guess, that basically sums up the highlights of my year 2013. What's yours? :)





5 comments:

  1. You took nice photographs of your darling cat at the right moment, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! It wasn't easy but it was manageable! :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name......
    Middle name.....
    2) Gender:.........
    3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
    4) Loan Duration:.........
    5) Country:.........
    6) Home Address:.........
    7) Mobile Number:.........
    8) Email address..........
    9) Monthly Income:.....................
    10) Occupation:...........................
    11)Which site did you here about us.....................
    Thanks and Best Regards.
    Whats app) +917290857361
    Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...