Monday, May 19, 2014

Little Wonton @TTDI

I wouldn't have known about the existence of this quaint little cafe in TTDI if it weren't for the write up on The Star newspaper just few days back. What caught my attention was the concoction of having vinegar, garlic AND lychee as the sauce of the of the charcoal noodles. I'm a fan of sourish food and I was sold with the idea of that combination.

As the boyfie and I had no lunch for the next day, we were set on visiting the Little Wonton cafe. The place is really easy to find but Waze directed us to the condo that was opposite the row of shops instead. Their company signboard is quite small and you could miss it if you're not aware. to make things easier, Little Wonton is located above 99 mini mart.




Placed outside their cafe, cute little figurines, baskets, an old thermos and tiffin carriers. By this time, you would've guess what kind of ambience that they're going for for the interior. 



As you enter the cafe, you are greeted by this big blackboard with their menu on it. I didn't stopped to look at the menu as I already knew my order, and went straight to grab a seat for the two of us.


We expected a lunch crowd but surprisingly there was only one table occupied (lucky us!). The waitress told us that they're busiest during weekends lunch time. The interior follows an old Shanghai concept with a slight modern touch to it.



Love these really cute, short chairs. Probably not the most practical but it give some colour to the place. Feels like a classroom table setup. Their menu is straightforward and simple as their unique selling points are the charcoal noodles and guilt free air fried wontons which come in a variety of flavours for customers to choose from.




It's self-service there. So tick what you have chosen and proceed to pay for your orders at the counter. 


We made a mistake when we were ordering. We didn't realize that there is a set menu for one charcoal noodles and 6 pieces of wontons for RM13. The waitress asked if we'd like the set menu but Kuok Sing said no because he didn't know that there is such a set and thought that it meant topping up another RM13 set menu on top of our order so he said no, he only wanted ala carte. After we made our order and saw that she only charged for only two bowls of charcoal noodles. Kuok Sing clarified about our order because there was no wontons included. Then only we were told by the server that there is a set menu of such and she said that because we only wanted ala carte When the Kuok Sing asked if we could change our order, she said no because we have already placed our orders and she doesn't have the pass key to access the system. Then only we know that the wontons are the air-fried wontons which we can choose from the menu.

It is our fault that we didn't read the menu carefully before ordering but then, the workers there didn't communicate with us as well. Their service is as though everyone that walks in are regulars and are familiar with their menu. They didn't explained to us that the set menu basically sums up the ala carte orders we made. They didn't seem to have any experience in helping out new customers since she didn't explain to us the set menu before we ordered or when we were ordering. That is one thing that new customers will have to look out for. Confirm your order and reconfirm again.


Other than the unsatisfactory customer service, I pretty much liked the ambience of the cafe and furnishing of it.

I wonder who sits on this chair though.





I like how they have books for customers to read while they're waiting for their food.

In love with their lights and the little birdcages.



They also have colour pencils, crayons and colourful markers with small booklets to keep the kids occupied.

When the waitress delivered our food, there was no warmth in it. It felt like they spent the whole day there, they're bored and they dread their job. Other than that, I was ready to devour my food.


My noodles came with shredded chicken breast, half of a half boiled egg, lychee and probably a tablespoon of garlic. Personally I loved the concoction of it. It has a sourish tang to it while still carrying the aromatic garlic but it wasn't sourish to the point that you'll feel a sharp sourish stab in your stomach.

Vinegar Garlic Lychee RM6.90

Green Curry RM6.90


The green curry was quite diluted, not the usual thick green curry soup. It wasn't the spicy type either. This had a few fish balls and chicken shreds in it. Their noodles were very yummy to nom! It was cooked just nice. I enjoyed my meal alot!


Mushroom Onion Wontons & Banana Peanut Butter Wontons RM7.90 per bowl of 6 pieces

It takes some time for their wontons to be cooked as they're not the usual wontons that are fried in oil so be patient!


The mushroom onion wontons tasted like carbonara pasta sauce but with lesser cream sauce. It was okay, really tasted like carbonara and lots of onion in them. We had three each, but after my first bite of my first mushroom onion wonton, I was already quite jelak with it. Not something that I would order again. But I like the skin of the wonton, thin and crispy.


The banana peanut butter wonton tasted like breakfast. Haha.. It tasted like something that I would have with pancakes for breakfast. It had probably a tablespoon of peanut butter and at least a 1.5cm slice of banana stuffed into the wonton. The peanut butter was not oozing but it was the gooey kind and the banana was soft and warm. Imagine all that gooey goodness in your mouth... Yums!


Little Wonton has a very cosy ambience just to hangout and to enjoy the company of your friends. Bring a book, sit there during a weekday afternoon is a great place to just have some "me" time. Just a down side on their servers. Honestly, their noodles portion was really small that we didn't felt full after that. I would've ordered another bowl of noodles if we didn't ordered the wontons. We believe that it was the banana peanut butter wonton that made us full at the end. Food was good and I would go back to try their other wontons and maybe the noodles. I might not change my order because I loved the taste of the noodles at first bite. :D


Little Wonton is located at: 
No: 20-1 (First Floor)​,
Lorong Rahim Kajai 14,
Taman Tun Dr Ismail,
60000, Kuala Lumpur,
Malayisa​​​​

3 comments:


  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure if this place is still around .. have been crossing off some of the cafe on my taman tun cafe list and just hoping to cross out even more ... haha

    ReplyDelete

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...