Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Food Review: Fat Spoon Café

So, just two weeks ago, the boyfriend and I decided to make one day of each week a food indulgent day since he and I have a lot more food places to discover. So yesterday, we went to the cafe nearest to us for dinner. We went to Fat Spoon Café at Damansara Utama, for a taste of contemporary Nyonya food. Actually, it was the first time for me there but he has been there a few times. Sorry, for I did not manage to take the interior of the cafe (will try do to so the next time!) but they managed to bring a nostalgic touch to the cafe from the door, to the menu, the interior and the furniture. I was quite lost as I entered the cafe as I was wondering which dessert to order even before I decided on my main course! Haha...


 Lemongrass & Pandan Tea

The tea was brewed finely as it was smooth; no residue or fibre bits from the lemongrass. Tea was served hot and the fragrant scent of lemongrass was soothing and calming. It wasn't diluted but the tea was thick and rich in lemongrass flavour, not so much of Pandan though. Only towards the end, you will see the fine residue from the lemongrass.

Belacan Fried Rice

It looks simple but the scent of the belacan was really good! Especially the smell of the fried rice. Chicken was fried to the perfect texture. Skin is lightly crispy but the meat was soft and juicy. When I ate the chicken,  it reminded me of the fried chicken that I used to order with plain nasi from the mamak store beside my parent's kedai runcit back in my hometown. It tasted very similar! :)

Tamarind Prawn Angel Hair Pasta

I fell in love with this dish the moment I had the first bite (salivating as I type this LOL). It has a tangy kick to it with a touch of locality. Although it was tangy, i believe they lightly fried the pasta with soy sauce and their tamarind sauce. It's like mee goreng but not that goreng (if you get what i mean). It was very appetizing and makes you want more of it! The prawns were fresh and seasoned well, living up to the name of the dish. ;)

 Here comes the fun part.... DESSERT!!!

 Chocolate Cake with Ice Cream

Please note that this is not brownie with ice cream but it is actually chocolate cake because the boyfriend made a mistake and they nearly gave us their home made brownie instead. Quote the boyfriend: "Fluffy, chocolat-y and warm" were the words he used to describe his dessert. I would prefer if the chocolate drizzle was more and slightly thicker though.

Sago Pudding with Salted Gula Melaka Ice Cream

This dessert just ended my day perfectly! I had no guilt eating it at all! Haha. The ice cream was smooth, thick and creamy. You do taste the Gula Melaka with a tinge of saltiness. There were little bits of Gula Melaka in the ice cream which I hoped there were MORE! They even drizzled melted Gula Melaka on top of the ice cream! The Sago was tasteless but it complements the dessert as a whole as when the ice cream melts, it becomes the "sauce" for the sago, becoming just like the traditional Gula Melaka Sago! Somehow towards the end of the dessert, it started to taste like coffee, i.e. latte. Only concern is that the surface of the sago hardens as the ice cream is too cold but that is just a minor drawback. I still love this dessert! :D

Fat Spoon also caters to big groups and parties as well. For more info you can visit their Facebook page @ Fat Spoon Café . It will be a food trip that will make you want more! ;)


Fat Spoon Café

Address:
73, Jalan SS21/1A Damansara Utama,
47400 Petaling Jaya,
Malaysia.

Opening Hours:
Tue - Thu: 11.30 am - 3pm; 5pm - 10pm.
Fri - Sun: 11.30am - 10pm


1 comment:

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...